Monday, February 4, 2013

Homemade Crunchwraps!

Last weekend a friend and I were going to eat taco bell after a game of ultimate frisbee. Now this may sound like a strange idea seeing as we were negating exercise with taco bell, but in Chapel Hill there is a shortage of fast food and sometimes you just get a craving for the bell. 

I ordered a random assortment of tacos and burritos and was prepared to gorge myself. When I asked my friend what she wanted me to pick her up, she requested a crunch wrap. Just one crunch wrap! It contained all of the flavors and components of a meal in one portable package!

Then it hit me! I can make my own crunch wraps! (Sure I can make my own tacos too but that's too easy) So I cobbled together the ingredients and made my own! I raided my pantry and set to work.

Start by browning some ground beef and seasoning with your favorite taco seasoning. (I really need to learn how to make my own but for now the mixes will have to do) 

Lay out all your ingredients and form a building station and get ready to stack! The ingredients I used were tortillas, refried beans, ground beef, melted cheese (for that authentic taco bell experience), tostada shells (flat crunchy tacos), Shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, and shredded cheddar cheese.

Step 1. Assemble your ingredients


Step 2. Apply meat!


Step 3. Top with melted cheese and beans.


Step 4. Separate warm and hot foods with a tostada. Then add shredded lettuce.


Step 5. Next is the fresh pico!


Step 6. Last is  the cheese because you can never have too much cheese.


Step 7. Fold into a hexagonal shape.


Above is the first one I made and was a little too full to get a good seal. Below you can see another one I made and filled a little less so that it would seal properly. I recommend getting large burrito sized tortillas if attempting this so that you can get a good seal so you can pick it up with your hands without the contents spilling everywhere.


Heat on both sides and give a press. I used another pot to press down my crunchwraps. Top with additional salsa or pico de gallo or simply pick up and devour!

Crunch Wrap Cross section

Crunch Wraps!

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef
1 package Taco seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend or cheddar works here)
1 package tostada shells
1 package burrito sized tortillas
1 container pico de gallo (or fresh salsa)
1 jar nacho cheese (optional, I just wanted that extra melted goodness associated with taco bell)
1 package shredded lettuce 
1 can refried beans (or other bean of your choice)


Directions
1. Brown ground beef over medium heat until cooked through. Drain excess fat.
2. Season with taco seasoning according to package instructions.
3. Place tortilla on plate.
4. Top with ground beef (amounts of each layer should be kept thin so that crunch wrap is fold able)
5. Top beef with beans and melted cheese if using.
6. Lay tostada shell on top of warm ingredients to separate hot and cold ingredients.
7. Top tosada with a layer of shredded lettuce.
8. Add next layer of fresh salsa or pico de gallo.
9. Sprinkle cheese on top of salsa.
10. Fold sides of tortilla to the middle and form a hexagonal shape. Try to make the sides meet in the middle as best as possible.
11. Take assembled tostada and lay seam side down in a saute pan over medium heat. Press down with spatula or another pan or pot to brown tortilla.
12. Once tortilla is browned, flip over and repeat browning process.
13. Serve with additional salsa or simply devour with hands!

This recipe is not really complex and more of a shopping list than a recipe, but I think it's a great idea I hadn't thought of until recently. Several of my friends informed me that this idea is all over pinterest and I think it is an excellent idea for a fun weeknight meal. It is also easily customized and can be made with a variety of other meats or beans to accommodate vegetarian diners. Now only if I could make my own doritos taco shells...

No comments:

Post a Comment