Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Oatmeal Cream Pies! Made at Home!



I recently posted a picture of my most recent baking adventure on facebook and the response was overwhelming positive with many people asking me how I did it. Honestly, it couldn't be easier!

Last weekend I took a much needed break to my friends mountain house out in Sparta, NC. This is a rare treat for me that basically entails getting away from everyday life and just spending some relaxing time in a remote location with friends. I spend most of my time hiking, eating food, and laying around... pretty much everything I want from a real vacation. One of the best parts of these little excursions is that I take the opportunity to eat whatever I want and really just relax and enjoy myself. This means cooking a special treat and getting to share it with others. This time up the mountain we had a group of ~ 20 people heading up there and I decided that I wanted to challenge myself and provide food for 20 people. 

Let me tell you that trying to cook for 20 people is incredibly difficult. 

As soon as I agreed to cook a single meal for all my friends I realized that I had to consider what to cook that 20 people would like, how to cook enough food to feed everyone, how am I going to transport so much food, what do I do about vegetarians, and how am I going to pay to feed 20 people? 

The answer to this dilemma? Spaghetti.

Everyone loves spaghetti, it's cheap, it's portable, and it's easy to make. Additionally, I realized that I could prep the noodles ahead of time mix it with sauce and cover it with cheese and create a baked spaghetti dish that could finish baking when I arrive at the house! Genius!

The night before I went up I went ahead and made 20 pounds of spaghetti and placed them in disposable chafing so that I could easily transport them and off I went! I wish I had taken a picture of this because 20 pounds of spaghetti is truly a sight to behold and while the dishes themselves weren't heavy it was still an enormous amount of food!

Now how does spaghetti equal oatmeal cream pies? Well no baked spaghetti dinner is complete without some dessert to complement that tomato-ey goodness! When deciding on a dessert I wanted something portable, easy to serve and eat, and was fun! That's when it hit me, why don't I make my own oatmeal cream pies? 

Everyone loves spaghetti and everyone loves individually wrapped caloric bombs they remembered from their bag lunches. In my mind this was the perfect dessert!

I unfortunately didn't take many pictures of the cooking process but I assure you it was not difficult and I will include the recipe. I hope you give this a shot and enjoy! I know my friends loved them and they were all gone on the first night.

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies
For Cookies:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 cups quick cooking oats


For Cream Filling:
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Directions: This recipe makes about 48 cookies or 24 pies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Line baking sheets with parchment paper

In a bowl use a mixer and cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, honey, and vanilla and mix until incorporated.


In another mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Slowly add your dry ingredients to the butter mixture and blend on low  until just incorporated. Stir in oats until evenly distributed. Chill dough in refrigerator to help firm up and make scoopable.


Remove dough from refrigerator and drop by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheet. Try to make each ball of dough as uniform as possible so that each cookie is roughly the same size and fits together perfectly. Be sure to put space in between each cookie as they will spread out during the baking process 


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just browned. Let stand on baking sheet until set and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool.


While the cookies are cooling prepare your cream filling! You could easily use store bought marshmallow cream straight out of a jar or even thin it out with some butter and sugar to create a nice fluffy cream but I personally prefer making an icing and controlling what goes into my cookies.


Beat butter with your mixer for about 1 minute until creamy. Carefully add the powdered sugar and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Pour in heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix on 3-4 minutes or until fluffy. This is how I would normally make an icing but the addition of heavy adds a nice creaminess to the icing that makes it perfect for sandwich cookies. Be sure to taste this mix and add salt if mixture is too sweet. If filling is way too thick, add a couple more teaspoons of heavy cream.

Once your cookies are cool, spread 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of cream filling on a cookie and match it up with another cookie of roughly the same size. Lightly squeeze the two cookies together and enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment